As MBTI is not enough to determine whether teamness will occur or not, Dr.Meredith Belbin study 9 team roles. These roles need to be balanced to make a good team. There are some critics on this method, yet we can still get some jewel in implement this approach.
1. Shaper: People who like to shape things. Keep challenge people to improve continuously.
2. Implementer: Get things done. Make ideas into action.
3. Completer-Finisher: Ensure no error in the work. Perseverance people.
4. Coordinator: Guide people. The leader.
5. Team Worker: Make sure the team work well together.
6. Resource Investigator: Innovative people. Explore options. Extrovert.
7. Plant: Innovator with new ideas. Introvert.
8. Monitor-Evaluator: Analyze other’s idea.
9. Specialist: Own specialized knowledge to make job done.
The 9 roles are very important to be balanced in team to ensure teamness. An individual may take multiple role and yet, the accumulation of people strength and weakness become the team strength and weakness. That’s why it is important to pick your team well.
Belbin Website. http://www.belbin.com
Belbin’s Team Roles. Mindtools. http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_83.htm
Team Role Inventories. Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Role_Inventories